While our skin is beautiful + brilliant, and our body naturally produces healing properties to feed our skin from within, sometimes it may need a little boost. Our bodies work so hard on our behalf, it’s the least we can do to support the health of our skin with key nutrients. What we put on our skin – and on our plate – really do make a difference. It’s essential to use the best ingredients for skin that nourish at a cellular level and leave our skin satisfied – not starving for nourishment. Stock up on these 4 nutrients that your skin needs more of, especially this time of year. Trust us, your skin will thank you!
Vitamin C is a vital antioxidant for skin and overall health. The benefits of this powerhouse + potent vitamin are evidence enough that you’ll want to slather this on your skin asap.
- Anti-aging: Protects against and even reverses free radical damage (from sun, stress, pollution, processed foods, chemicals, etc) and promotes collagen + elastin production (the proteins that strengthen skin tissue, making it firm, smooth + supple).
- Evens skin tone: Brightens skin, minimizes appearance of dark spots, discoloration and UV-induced damage.
- Heals: Regenerates skin cells, helps to reverse signs of aging and sun damage, assists with wound healing and soothes inflammation (including acne!).
- Get that glow: Replenishes skin with hydration and much needed nourishment for balanced skin + a healthy glow.
It’s essential to make sure you’re getting enough Vitamin C through your diet (seasonal + local citrus fruits, dark leafy greens and berries are best!), but we want to share some topical ways to feed your skin this nutrient, naturally.
Vit C Tip: Be cautious of synthetic versions of Vitamin C (such as L-ascorbic acid, ascorbyl palmitate, ester-C and even more) which are often derived from corn syrup, acetone and other toxic chemicals. No, thanks.
Natural sources of Vitamin C have the added advantage of containing other powerful vitamins, minerals and beauty benefits. These skin-loving, Vitamin C rich oils sink in deeply to provide the proper nutrients for balanced skin – and a healthy body.
- Pumpkin seed oil: Contains an impressive profile of nutrients to promote a youthful appearance. Rich in Vitamin C, A and zinc (promotes firmness + clear skin) and essential fatty acids (reduces inflammation + reverses signs of damage).
- Rosehip seed oil: Powerful antioxidant properties which protect skin from environmental stressors. High in Vitamin C and Vitamin E – a power couple that helps to heal + hydrate skin.
- Sea buckthorn oil: Prevents + reverses signs of aging and heals burns, cuts, and other sorts of skin inflammation. It contains 12x more Vitamin C than an orange, 3 times more Vitamin A than carrots and essential fatty acids to moisturize, regenerate + repair the skin.
Vit C Tip: Get all this goodness in one little bottle! Bursting with an antioxidant + vitamin rich blend, this serum is made with the most potent + healing oils our planet has to offer.
THE POWER OF FLOWERS
It’s not just a saying from the 70’s, flower power is a source for some serious nutrients in skincare. Plants + flowers found in nature are blooming with benefits that can powerfully heal and beautify the skin. Two botanicals that you may not be too familiar with (yet!) are making a scene in the skincare industry.
Geranium and Blue Tansy are two floral oils that we’re absolutely loving (okay, we’re obsessed) and that will deliver not only nutrients to your skin, but aromatherapy benefits for your body and mind.
- Geranium has a gentle, floral aroma that aids in reducing inflammation and rejuvenating skin cells while powerfully minimizing the appearance of aging, fine lines and scarring. This potent plant increases cell turnover to reveal a brighter + more youthful complexion, keeps pores clear and brings life to dull and tired skin. Who knew such a sweet flower could do all that?
- Blue Tansy is a fruity, floral oil that fights inflammation and signs of aging. It’s bright blue hue and powerful anti-inflammatory properties are due to its high levels of azulene. Perfect for sensitive skin, damaged skin and healing + preventing breakouts, Blue Tansy is incredibly soothing, combats inflammation and regenerates skin at a cellular level. From aging to acne – and everything in between – Blue Tansy might just be the botanical your skin has been searching for.
From complexion mists and creams to deodorants and body oils, these flowers are making their presence (and powers!) known on the skincare scene.
The word is out: Healthy fats are a must for healthy skin. Since we’re already aware of the insane nutrient profile of healthy fats (vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, antioxidants… need we say more?), let’s just focus on one fat in particular to support strong, radiant skin from within.
Society seems to have a slight obsession with one of our favorite fruits + healthy fats. From t-shirts, silly quotes, breakfast (and even dessert!) recipes and restaurant menus, avocados have gone mainstream, and for good reason. Avocados are one of the healthiest fats you can consume for your skin – and hair, and hormones, and brain, and overall health. Avocado oil is extracted from the flesh of the fruit and is packed full of the following nutrients…
- Vitamins A, C, E, K and D along with antioxidants to help to prevent + repair free radical damage.
- Magnesium – which is responsible for over 300 reactions within the body and is especially beneficial for skin health.
- Potassium, protein and monounsaturated fats (which raises levels of good cholesterol and lowers the bad).
- Strengthens the immune system, helps to balance hormones and is a powerful anti-aging nutrient for skin.
The benefits of avocado oil are immense, and even more than that, it has the ability to improve the absorption of nutrients in other food and to deeply deliver its rich nutrients at a cellular level. Healthy cells = Healthy skin.
With avocado oil’s light flavor, it makes the perfect base for salad dressings, an added boost of healthy fats in smoothies, and sautéing + stir frying vegetables at high temperatures (it has one of the highest smoke points at 520 degrees). We also love this clean mayo with avocado oil as its main ingredient!
Avocados aren’t just a trend or a $2 add-on to your tacos – they’re a nutrient rich fruit (and fat!) that your skin definitely needs more of.
We may sound like a broken record when it comes to collagen, but that’s because we can’t get enough of this superpower supplement. We can only do so much for our skin with topical nutrients, so it’s important to rebuild, strengthen + support skin from the inside as well.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body that keeps skin elastic, strong + supple. As we age, collagen production decreases. Less collagen leads to dullness, wrinkles, sagging skin and other signs of aging.
Firm and feed your skin from within by adding a couple scoops of a collagen supplement in your smoothie or morning coffee – or by sipping bone broth!
What are some nutrients that your skin is loving right now? Let us know below!