We all want radiant, glowing skin.
But if your post-holiday + mid-winter skin is anything like mine, it’s seen better days. Between the extra sweets and glasses of wine by the fireplace, dry winter air, added stress of the holidays, travel, etc., my skin is in desperate need of a pick-me-up!
In an effort to nurse my complexion back to health, I’ve compiled a list of a few tips sure to bring life to dull + tired skin.
If starting with all of these at once sounds intimidating, try adding in one or two at a time. Creating (and sticking to) a new healthy habit will naturally start a snowball effect where more healthy habits are created and the not-so-healthy ones are left behind.
How to Get Glowing Skin
- Tip #1: Get plenty of beauty rest. As a new-ish mom, this one has been nearly impossible for me. But if you don’t have an adorable little human monopolizing your nighttime hours, I highly recommend making sleep a priority. Getting a full night’s rest (7-9 hours) helps to restore the skin’s moisture balance, stimulate collagen, and (this is a big one) fight inflammation.
- Tip #2: Improve your circulation. When blood flow is boosted, much needed nourishment is sent to skin cells, reestablishing a radiant complexion and minimizing the effects of inflammation.
Exercise is key when it comes to getting your blood pumping! And oscillating between hot and cold water (the colder the better) a few times while in the shower does the trick as well. Cypress essential oil (found in our Fancy Face Serum) is also known to increase blood flow to skin cells, making skin look more lively + healthy.
- Tip #3: Take up dry brushing. When done regularly, dry brushing is known to stimulate the lymphatic system (allowing the body to rid itself of toxic build-up), exfoliate the skin, remove dead skin cells + stimulate the growth of new ones and enhance blood circulation. It can also reduce the appearance of cellulite over time!
Dry brushing is an easy habit to adopt and takes about 2 minutes per day. To start, gently stroke your body with the dry brush before showering. Begin with your extremities and gently move towards the heart in upward, circular strokes. Dry brushes can be found in our Spa Kit.
- Tip #4: Eat leafy greens (lots of them). Leafy green veggies (spinach, kale, etc.) help to support the body’s detoxification processes, flushing out excess hormones that can cause imbalances in the skin. Aim for 2-3 cups/day of leafy greens (the equivalent of a smoothie and a salad).
- Tip #5: Catch some rays. Getting adequate amounts of sunlight (for your skin type) is a vital piece of achieving an optimal level of health. One of the most important benefits it offers is Vitamin D — necessary for thousands of reactions within the body. In addition to the added health benefits of sunlight, it also provides the complexion with a beautiful sunkissed glow that can’t be replicated (no matter how much bronzer you apply).
During the winter months when the weather is cool and sunlight is sparse, try getting outside for even a quick 10-20 minutes whenever possible — you don’t need much!
- Tip #6: Upgrade your skincare routine. Many of the skincare products lining the shelves at your local grocery or drug store are made with cheap, toxic ingredients. And although they may provide you with short-term results, they aren’t doing the long-term health of your skin any favors.
On the flipside, skincare products made with real + organic ingredients help to improve the overall health of the skin, making it more resilient to signs of aging and inflammation. Some of our favorites for glowing skin include Cleansing Oil (a different type of “face wash” based on the age-old method of using beneficial oils to remove dirt and grime from pores), Fancy Face Serum (blend of 17 organic carrier + essential oils known to improve fine lines, acne and age spots) and Complexion Mist (a hydrating + refreshing mist that can be used throughout the day for an instant pick-me-up).
Most importantly, remember that beauty radiates from the inside out. And (cheesy as it may sound) no matter how many things you do to improve your skin’s health and outer appearance, nothing will make your complexion glow more than a joyful spirit! This year, focus on doing things that bring you joy — cultivate happiness on the inside and it will show on the outside.